Editing MPEG2 streams

willieb9000 willieb9000 at y...
Fri, 25 Jan 2002 16:47:13 -0000

Hey Daniel. Here is what I do to get around the problem and still get
my NBC shows off the tivo. It is a pain, but it works. I use tyconvert
like usual, but name your file NBCshow1.mpg (the "1" is the important
part -- the name doesn't matter). When it dies on an NBC commercial,
it will print out in the log what chunk it started dying on.

First, rename the mpg field of tyconvert to be NBCshow2.mpg. Find a
hex calculator online. I used this one
http://www.cpinternet.com/~kjackson/duluth/ndlhcalc.html
If youuse IE, you can save it as a complete webpage and just open it
on your local when you need to. Take the first hex number tyconvert
gives you that it dies on and put it in the calculator and push the
DEC button to convert to decimal. Then in the "Skip X number of
chunks" option on tyconvert enter that decimal number plus about 50.
Click convert. If it works fine then abort and try lower numbers until
it dies instantly. If it dies instantly try higher numbers. Keep
aborting and trying different numbers until you can isolate the place
where one number dies, but the next number works. (For example try the
DEC number (we'll use 2300) + 50, or 2350 (dies instantly); then try
2370 (works fine)so abort; then try 2360 (dies instantly); then 2361
(dies instantly); then try 2362 (dies but takes a second longer); then
2363 works fine. 2363 is your magic number. Let is keep going, saving
this file as NBCshow2.mpg until it hits the next NBC promo and dies.
Repeat, naming it NBCshow3.mpg until it makes it to the end. You will
not miss any of your show because it only dies on commercials. The
result is about 5 mpg pieces that make up the entire show. I encode to
divx so I then join the avis in nandub make the show whole again. If
you keep them in mpg format, just load them into the playlist in order
and as it plays you won't know it is split. If you want to go to SVCD
you'll have to find some way to rejoin the MPGs -- i know there are
programs out there to do this (I think maybe even TMPGenc does it?).
Hope this helps -- Really It doesn't take that long even thogh it
sounds a little involved.

Willie

--- In ExtractStream@y..., "Daniel" <junior15@m...> wrote:
> Has anybody found a good way to get an mpg file from an NBC show?
I've
> got a couple episodes of West Wing that I can't get to convert with
tyc
> or tyconvert. I'm currently using sendstream to extract the ty
streams.
> I've used extractstream in the past and had similar results. Using
tyc,
> the conversion gets about 400mb into the file, then dies. Using
> tyconvert, it gets to about 19 minutes, then dies.
>
> So far, most of the shows that I have seen this problem on are on
NBC