[ExtractStream] Re: merging .ty files

Roger Merchberger zmerch7 at y...
Sat, 26 Jan 2002 06:39:29 -0800 (PST)

--- "J. Scott Dorr" <merlin@f...> wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 26, 2002 at 09:23:14AM -0000, shandrakor wrote:
> > In windows - use "copy /b file1.ty+file2.ty+file3.ty fullfile.ty"
>
> Thanks. :)
>
> Is it preferable to do this, or to manipulate each .ty file
> individually as
> per Merch's tivo page?

On my page, the .ty file is a single file - the multi-file jazz is
when you get into TMPGenc and encoding each "batch" from the single
.d2v & .wav so you don't need to take the time encoding the
commercials. After you knit the .ty's together, the instructions on
my page would apply as if you had a single .ty from sendstream (which
is the main tool I use for Tivo mfs extraction).

> I would find it simpler to cat them all into one file and then do
> whatever
> manipulations need to be done on that single file, rather than do
> the
> manipulations on a bunch of .ty files and -then- merge them into a
> large .mpg.

The problems with that are:

1) if you mpeg2 transcode the entire file, you're transcoding
commercials & all - if this is what you want, that's fine, but
transcoding takes a *lot* of CPU horsepower, and if you're going to
clip commercials, why waste the CPU on commercials?

2) if you do encode to a single file first, using TMPGenc's Cut &
Merge functions are quite buggy - you could be 3-4 seconds off from
where you wanted to actually clip your video -- with my procedure,
the furthest off you'll be [barring complications] is 3-4 *frames*
off -- much smaller margin for error.

3) If you're looking to fill the SVCD to the max to try to get the
highest bitrate you can, it's much easier to compute with my method
as you have the actual # of frames -- you need a lot more leeway when
encoding w/commercials because you don't know how many/long the
commercials will be. If you give too much room, it lowers your
bitrate & you don't fill the SVCD. Not enough room, and you flush
your too-big files down the crapper & start all over again.

Mind you, I'm not trying to discourage you - everybody has their own
preferences to getting a task done. I'm just trying to help by giving
alternate points of view & playing devil's advocate...

Hopefully this helps you to find the best way for you to do what you
need, and when you do, share your experiences with the others...
that's what this [or any] hobby is all about!

HTH,
Roger "Merch" Merchberger