[ExtractStream] Re: merging .ty files

J. Scott Dorr merlin at f...
Sat, 26 Jan 2002 12:51:54 -0800

On Sat, Jan 26, 2002 at 06:39:29AM -0800, Roger Merchberger wrote:
> --- "J. Scott Dorr" <merlin@f...> wrote:
> > On Sat, Jan 26, 2002 at 09:23:14AM -0000, shandrakor wrote:
> > > In windows - use "copy /b file1.ty+file2.ty+file3.ty fullfile.ty"
> >
> > Thanks. :)
> >
> > Is it preferable to do this, or to manipulate each .ty file
> > individually as per Merch's tivo page?
>
> On my page, the .ty file is a single file - the multi-file jazz is
> when you get into TMPGenc and encoding each "batch" from the single
> .d2v & .wav so you don't need to take the time encoding the
> commercials. After you knit the .ty's together, the instructions on my
> page would apply as if you had a single .ty from sendstream (which is
> the main tool I use for Tivo mfs extraction).

This answers my main question. :)

> > I would find it simpler to cat them all into one file and then do
> > whatever manipulations need to be done on that single file, rather
> > than do the manipulations on a bunch of .ty files and -then- merge
> > them into a large .mpg.
>
> The problems with that are:
>
> 1) if you mpeg2 transcode the entire file, you're transcoding
> commercials & all - if this is what you want, that's fine, but
> transcoding takes a *lot* of CPU horsepower, and if you're going to
> clip commercials, why waste the CPU on commercials?

I was intending on following your instructions, including the bit where
you use TMPGenc to only encode that which you wanted encoded.

I was just wondering how to reconcile the fact that I start off with
multiple .ty files, whereas your instructions start off with the
assumption that you have one monolithic .ty file. Assuming the 'copy
/b' method prescribed above is legit, then I think I'm golden (for now).
:)

Thanks for your response!

- scott