Need kickstart with video extraction

garybx gary at v...
Sat, 26 Jan 2002 15:01:41 -0000

I came in during the middle of this era of extracting video from
Tivo and need some help getting started. I have TivoNet and am
successfully downloading the schedule via broadband DSL. I
am also able to telnet into Tivo from my PC. Now I just need
some explicit instructions about setting up ExtractStream or
some other extraction tool. Every time I look at a linked website
or look at a ReadMe file, it assumes that I know WAY more than I
do, with statements like "transfer the files to your Tivo". What PC
program do I use? Do I need to execute some program on Tivo
to allow the transfer? Where do I put the files? Do I need to edit
some file on Tivo to recognize and use the transferred files?

I hope that someone will have pity on a confused newbie. By the
way, I'm fairly technically inclined, with programming experience
in Fortran, assembly, Pascal and C, but I only have passing
familiarity with Unix.

Thanks,
Gary