[ExtractStream] Need kickstart with video extraction

Roger Merchberger zmerch7 at y...
Sat, 26 Jan 2002 09:24:45 -0800 (PST)

--- garybx <gary@v...> wrote:
> I came in during the middle of this era of extracting video from
> Tivo and need some help getting started. I have TivoNet and am
> successfully downloading the schedule via broadband DSL. I
> am also able to telnet into Tivo from my PC. Now I just need
> some explicit instructions about setting up ExtractStream or
> some other extraction tool. Every time I look at a linked website
> or look at a ReadMe file, it assumes that I know WAY more than I
> do, with statements like "transfer the files to your Tivo". What PC
> program do I use? Do I need to execute some program on Tivo
> to allow the transfer? Where do I put the files? Do I need to edit
> some file on Tivo to recognize and use the transferred files?

If you used the TivoNet boot floppy to set everything up, there
*should* be a program on the Tivo called "tivoftpd" which you can run
to transfer files to/from your Tivo. You'll have to find it [[ tivo
at home, me at work, firewall closed off at wifey's request - she got
rather upset with me when I started changing the TV channels from
work once - she thought she was going nuts. ;-) ]]

The directory is prolly /var/hack or something like it - 'cd' your
way around the Tivo filesystem to get yourself familiar with where
programs are. When you find it, cd to that directory and type this:

./tivoftpd &

This will start the tivo FTP daemon, which you can use ftp client
software on another machine to [up/down]load software to the Tivo.
This is how you get extractstream / sendstream / other to your tivo.

IMHO, it's best to make a separate directory for your other
software[s] so it's easiest for you to remember - like
/var/sendstream for sendstream, /var/webserv for the web server
daemons you'll need to get the FSID's of the programs you want to
extract.

Once you upload your sendstream program, cd to that directory in your
terminal and type: chmod 755 sendstream to set Linux's file
permissions to executable. Do the same with the httpd daemons (web
server daemons). When you're done xferring files, kill the tivoftpd
daemon, as there's no security built-in, and the fewer proggies
you've got running on that smokin' 53Mhz embedded PPC chip, the
better. You'll now want to start the httpd daemon, so 'cd' to the
directory you put the web server program in, and type ./httpd.tcl &
(or whatever the filename is called.)

Now start up a browser and browse to http://10.1.1.100 (or whatever
IP address you set up your tivo to) and click on Now Showing.
Depending on the web server program, you'll need to look up the show
you want to xfer, and it'll give you the FSID's for that show. These
you need for ExtractStream / Sendstream to xfer that show.

The easiest way (for me) to get the files from your tivo to a Winders
box is to use netcat, or nc. There already should be a copy of nc on
your tivo [again, as per the TivoNet floppy install] and you'll need
to download nc for winders, a copy of which can be found on my
Tivo->SVCD help page at:

http://www.30below.com/~zmerch/tivo/index.cfm

>From there, follow the instructions on my page for extraction &
conversion to SVCD - if you want to go to DivX then my page won't be
quite as helpful towards the end, but the beginning part is all the
same.

Dunno if this is super-helpful [this is a quickie mail while I'm at
work] but it should get you started at least enough to have more
questions. ;-)

HTH,
Roger "Merch" Merchberger