[ExtractStream] when to use the .avi?

Roger Merchberger zmerch7 at y...
Tue, 29 Jan 2002 19:26:26 -0800 (PST)

--- "J. Scott Dorr" <merlin@f...> wrote:
> Another question about procedure as listed on Merch's page. :)

Which I've updated -- I've added a counter & some other things to try
to pretty the thing up, and Holey-Moley - almost 50 hits in 2 days???
Kewl! ;-)

[page quote snippage]

> So, where is the .avi used? Is it supposed to be used in step 9 in
> place of the .d2v file (ie. Step 9 is erroneously telling us to use
> the
> .d2v when it should be telling us to use the .avi)? Or is the .d2v
> file
> now linked in some way to the .avi file?

Okay, I've done some checking & if you're not using Nandub, you don't
need to do the AVI conversion - I've also updated my page to reflect
this. However, I've tried setting the clipping boundries thru TMPGenc
on a 3-hour tystream, and it was slower than molasses in January [pun
intended] - uphill, no less. On my Dual Athlon MP box. It was really
quite pitiful. :-/
So, I've reinstated the previous instructions with the AVI conversion
& Nandub with the disclaimer that you might want to take the extra
steps if you're editing a larger (> 1 hour) tystream. I've indented
the extra instructions, so they should be highlighted pretty well to
not cause confusion.

I also found that you can omit the .wav creation with the right
settings in TMPGenc, but that particular setting caused heartburn on
my system in the past -- I haven't checked it out yet if it's working
right under TMPGenc 2.5 on my system. I've put that on my page, also.

Anyway, HTH everybody & enjoy the new page - refresh it often to make
my head swell & the counter grow... ;^> [just kidding]
Roger "Merch" Merchberger