when to use the .avi?

t_tringle t_tringle at h...
Tue, 29 Jan 2002 22:47:44 -0000

Roger,

I believe that I can clear something up in this regard. You pretty
much have already stated this, but in case anybody else has further
information on these programs and their uses/ability to work
together, I would be curious to see what other programs people have
used DVD2AVI and VFAPI-Conv-en.exe with.

The D2V file is a mapping of the MPEG stream basically allowing
programs that use the VFAPI format (haven't found too much
information on this) to open the file and then basically understand
how to handle the file without a specially written plugin. This file
is then converted into a dummy AVI file with the VFAPI-Conv-en.exe.
The AVI file that is then created is really only a further mapping of
the original D2V file. It's basically a file that allows programs
that would normally only work with AVI files, ie. Premier without a
plugin, and Virtualdub to be able to open them and manipulate them as
they would a native AVI file. Of course since the original MPEG is
supplying the "D2V" file which is in turn supplying the VFAPI-
Conv "AVI" file, if you delete the original mpeg file or the D2V
file, the entire chain breaks down.

It took me quite a while to realize, why I was continually getting
black screens with a certain AVI file until I realized what I had
done ( I had renamed the original mpeg file, thus breaking the chain.)

I hope I have helped someone else understand this as I have, without
insulting anybody who has already figured out the dependency levels
of these programs and how they work together.

Thanks

Tim Tringle