[ExtractStream] merging .ty files

Josh Harding theamigo42 at y...
Tue, 29 Jan 2002 22:09:18 -0800 (PST)

--- Mike Schoenborn <mjs@h...> wrote:
> On this NT 4 system I often get -very- slow transfers (with all
> things, not just nc). Once when looking into the situation I started
> up MS's Network Monitor and the speed immediately jumped up to
> reasonable 10Mbps results.
>
> A wild guess is that NetMon putting the NIC into promiscuous mode did
> the magic, but again, that's just a wild guess. Until I get the time
> to look into it further, I just start up NetMon whenever I have
> something big to move. Pathetic, I know, but it gets the job done.

I don't think NetMon puts your card in promisc mode since it doesn't
let you sniff other people's traffic.

I'd suggest updating your network drivers and make sure you don't have
any network connections set to half duplex on one end and full duplex
on the other. Good switches can handle a mix of half duplex and full
duplex devices, just make sure each port has the same setting as the
device plugged into it. If your switch doesn't support full duplex,
make sure your NIC isn't set to full duplex.

=====
--The Amigo