Why is 480x480 not full screen on the DVD player?

logictrap griffon+yahooq at s...
Wed, 30 Jan 2002 14:17:04 -0000

--- In ExtractStream@y..., "Mike Schoenborn" <mjs@h...> wrote:

> 44.1KHz, etc). The SVCD plays on a Pioneer 440 DVD player, but the
> image is vertically compressed (and perhaps horizontally expanded a bit,
> though I haven't measured it). The results are watchable, but a
It appears to be a bug in the Pioneer 440 and 444 DVD players.
If you do some googling you'll see people complaining about it,
and not just from TiVo-extracted video. You can "work around" it
be going into the setup and changing the picture setting to "4x3
Pan & Scan", but this seems to lop some off the sides.

> (BTW, results from a full, 8 x realtime, TMpegEnc conversion fill the
> screen, so that tends to suggest it's not the DVD player itself).

This is interesting, I get the same squashing with MJPEGtools
mpeg2enc so I had assumed it was a generic Pioneer problem. Can
you point me to anywhere on the net I can get an MPEG2 clip which
plays properly on the player? It could be that some random bit
in the MPEG2 headers is to blame, in which case it might be
possible to write a tool to "fix up" the encoded stream.