[ExtractStream] Why is 480x480 not full screen on the DVD player?

Roger Merchberger zmerch7 at y...
Wed, 30 Jan 2002 10:21:06 -0800 (PST)

--- Mike Schoenborn <mjs@h...> wrote:
> Why is 480x480 not full screen on the DVD player?
>
> I've used the "fiddle Tivo's bitrates" shortcut to get streams off
> the
> Tivo, and massaged them enough to produce an MPG that is acceptable
> NTI's CD-Maker Pro's SVCD requirements (480x480, 4:3, 2600kbps,
> 192kbps,
> 44.1KHz, etc).

Have you tried Nero? Very handy program for SVCD's. Dunno if it
matters, bit this might be throwing you off.

Also, you might want to burn a non-complient SVCD WRT the audio -
upconverting from 32KHz to 44.1Khz can add funky harmonics to the
audio, some of which can give those of us with good ears headaches.
Most players will play a non-audio-standard SVCD - My apex will,
anyway...

> The SVCD plays on a Pioneer 440 DVD player, but the
> image is vertically compressed (and perhaps horizontally expanded a
> bit,
> though I haven't measured it). The results are watchable, but a
> line of
> noise/data along the top edge of the image (is this what is called
> "dot crawl"?) is awfully annoying.

The funky dots you're seeing is the Closed Captioning data. It
(normally) hides in the overscan regions of the TV netherworld...
check out my page at:

http://www.30below.com/~zmerch/tivo/index.cfm

to see the clipping rates to get rid of this if it bothers you.

> Any hints why I'm not getting my money's worth in the vertical?

I have a few hints - I'm at work & video setup is at home, so I can't
walk you thru *exactly* where the settings are, but there's two
different "ratio" settings you need to check on.

The first is for what you want to output, and make sure it's 480x480
4:3 NTSC (not VGA) and also, if you click on "input source" (the next
tab over) make sure that the input is *also* 4:3 NTSC and not 1:1 VGA
- this can make your video wonky.

Warning: *sometimes* TMPGenc will set/reset this setting at will, so
it's good to double-check it on occasion (sp?), especially before
that nice 8-hour transcoding session. ;-)

Anyway, I hope this helps and if you have any other questions, please
feel free to ask!

Laterz,
Roger "Merch" Merchberger