Adding MPEG-2 conversion to Playitsam

Warren Toomey wkt at t...
Thu, 31 Jan 2002 15:21:51 +1000 (EST)

Hi all,
I have updated Playitsam at http://minnie.tuhs.org/Programs/Playitsam
to have the small patches that should fix the segfault problems that some
people were having. From now on, I'll also include the binary of mfs_export
in the tarball.

In the long-term, I want to build in to Playitsam the conversion to
a proper MPEG-2 stream. The idea is to edit out the ads on the TiVo
itself, and to export an MPEG-2 stream and not a tystream.

There are several tools which can either do the conversion, or do
the appropriate multiplexing: TyConvert, tyc, convertstream, mplex.
Before I even start to think about doing this, can you all let me know:

- which tool always works for you
- which tool doesn't always work for you
- any other information that might help.

I plan on reusing the ideas & perhaps some of the freely available conversion
code from one of these tools, but I need to find out which one does the
best job.

This extra functionality won't appear for a few months yet.

Thanks in advance,
Warren