Inverse 3:2 pulldown (was: Suggestions for Windows video editor?

Roger Merchberger zmerch7 at y...
Thu, 11 Jul 2002 20:24:02 -0700 (PDT)

--- Scott Alfter <yahoo@s...> wrote:
[snip]
> I usually create an Avisynth script to do A/V mux and
> NLE and run the output of this script through VirtualDub for
> inverse 3:2
> pulldown and any filtering that might need to be applied. You can
> then reencode the resulting video with TMPGEnc.

You'd mentioned the inverse 3:2 pulldown before -- it's to create a
24fps (or 23.997 or whatever that is...) file, right? I've not used
your system, but I tried that inverse 3:2 pulldown in TMPGenc, 2470
kbps bitrate, and encoded... The resulting .mpg file, while it seemed
to play well enough on my machine (didn't test it on an SVCD...)
wasn't any smaller. So... I have a few "3:2 newbie" questions:

1) What advantages do you see with using the inverse 3:2 pulldown?

2) Logic would say: using the same bitrate, a slower fps file should
be smaller, right?

2a) Does TMPGEnc "do the right thing" or does 3:2 pulldown not
work with that software?

3) Do you know if most DVD players that play SVCDs handle 24fps SVCDs
or is it a "try and see?"

-- Just wondering if it's time to start tinkering again, or if I
should keep with what I'm doing for now... :-)

Thanks,
Roger "Merch" Merchberger