[ExtractStream] More questions....

Michael Loftis mloftis at w...
Thu, 11 Jul 2002 22:23:05 -0700

--On Thursday, July 11, 2002 9:03 PM -0700 Roger Merchberger
<zmerch7@y...> wrote:

> One piece of advice, tho: *convince* your significant other [if you
> have one] for funds to upgrade your machine, if you don't have
> something fairly new now... talk your boss into a nice payraise... or
> both! I had a 1Ghz P3 which was a wonderful machine until I got into
> this hobby -- at 8-9 hours per 45 minutes of encoded video (depending
> on options, of course) it was tedious to try to archive everything my
> wife wanted... ;-) I now have a Dual Athlon MP 1600+, SCSI drives to
> be installed soon (160MByte/sec... Argh, Argh, Argh... ;-), and I'm
> starting to keep a closer eye on the 2200+'s... [note to self... hit
> pricewatch.com once I'm done with this email...] :-)

Is this where I give you a case of computer envy? :) Yah I may as well.

I have an AMD Athlon XP1800+ (1.5something Ghz), 5xUltra80 10KRPM drives
chained to a two channel ICP Vortex GDT6528RS setup in RAID0 (Striping) for
best performance, I peak out at about 80MBYTE/sec with 100% CPU usage (read
and/or write -- total throughput).
512MB PC2100 rounds it out (I wanna go to 1Gb but too poor) ... Just
built this system less than 6 months ago, I had the RAID controller
from..uhm I'm not sure where but I had it sitting, and drives were just
idling in one of the servers I have here.

A good dose of SCSI and RAID seriously helped my video editing and
splitting. The TiVo extraction is still the most god-awfully slowest part
of the process.