[ExtractStream] Inverse 3:2 pulldown (was: Suggestions for Windows video editor?

Roger Merchberger zmerch7 at y...
Fri, 12 Jul 2002 16:25:31 -0700 (PDT)

--- Scott Alfter <yahoo@s...> wrote:

> The file won't be any smaller, but more bits will be allocated to
> each frame.

Okay... got that.

> (In real MPEG-2 encoding, of course, you have P and B frames to
> deal with.
> These will be smaller than I frames, but given a constant bitrate,
> a lower
> framerate should allow more information to be stored in each
> frame.)

Now, if I have this figgered out correctly (which I should... it's
not that difficult of a concept to understand once explained...) even
if it's VBR, provided the average VBR bitrate between a 30fps & a
24fps (rounded) MPEG the size should stay the same, or darned close
to it, right?

> Several programs (TMPGEnc, VirtualDub, Avisynth, etc.) implement
> inverse 3:2
> pulldown. Of the ones I've used, the adaptive inverse 3:2 pulldown
> in
> VirtualDub is the easiest to use and produces the best quality.

Well, the 3:2 pulldown in TMPGenc isn't all that difficult to use -
mmm - check the box. [Oooo, that's a toughie... ;-) ] Mind you, the
quality issue is totally different, and I'm one that sacrifices
quality only as a last resort...

> > 3) Do you know if most DVD players that play SVCDs handle 24fps
> SVCDs
> > or is it a "try and see?"
>
> Given that many (most?) DVDs are encoded at 23.976 fps (rip one and
> split the VOBs with DVD2AVI to see for yourself)...

WRT the DVD specs, I'll admit that I'm an appliance operator when it
comes to them; don't much care about the specs other than the disks
are 5" in diameter and don't easily fit unless the tray is open on
the device. [[ and that you can't fit more than one disk in the
tray... ;-) ]]

WRT ripping DVDs, that sounds like way too much work for me. If
there's a DVD at WallyWorld that I want, I just go buy the darned
thing... Its the stuff you can't buy is why I'm doing this... like
the Stargate SG-1s (30 and counting - TMPGenc is running a new batch
right now), Charmed (12 of those, and counting) [both of these series
for my wife], a few Enterprises [for my son] and assorted & sundry
things (a few Hometimes, my wife wanted a "Gardener's Journal",
etc...), and last, but not least, I've managed to get 2 - yes,
count'em 2 Farscapes for me. ;-)

> I'd expect that most of the ones
> that play SVCDs should handle SVCDs at that framerate. I think
> that support
> for 23.976 fps is part of the spec for MPEG-2 and/or SVCD, but
> don't quote me on it. :-)

I don't _believe_ that framerate is SVCD spec, but I hardly have the
specs mezmerized, so my answer's just about, but not quite, as good
as flipping a coin. ;-)

I'll have to burn a test, and see 1) if my box will play them well
(it prolly will, but...) and 2) see if there's any noticable quality
difference. Looks like it might be another all-niter for the Athlon

> _/_
> / v \ Scott Alfter (salfter@s...)
> (IIGS( http://salfter.dyndns.org
> \_^_/ rm -rf /bin/laden

^^^^^ -- Yea, but can you get one of those to play MPEGz??? ;-)
Me, I'm a die-hard CoCoNut myself, but I'm getting a STacy this
week... and my Falcon should be here before the end of the year!