[ExtractStream] Inverse 3:2 pulldown (was: Suggestions for Windows video editor?

Scott Alfter yahoo at s...
Fri, 12 Jul 2002 16:27:40 -0700

On Fri, Jul 12, 2002 at 04:25:31PM -0700, Roger Merchberger wrote:
> --- Scott Alfter <yahoo@s...> wrote:
> > (In real MPEG-2 encoding, of course, you have P and B frames to deal
> > with. These will be smaller than I frames, but given a constant
> > bitrate, a lower framerate should allow more information to be stored in
> > each frame.)
>
> Now, if I have this figgered out correctly (which I should... it's
> not that difficult of a concept to understand once explained...) even
> if it's VBR, provided the average VBR bitrate between a 30fps & a
> 24fps (rounded) MPEG the size should stay the same, or darned close
> to it, right?

True.

> > Several programs (TMPGEnc, VirtualDub, Avisynth, etc.) implement inverse
> > 3:2 pulldown. Of the ones I've used, the adaptive inverse 3:2 pulldown
> > in VirtualDub is the easiest to use and produces the best quality.
>
> Well, the 3:2 pulldown in TMPGenc isn't all that difficult to use -
> mmm - check the box. [Oooo, that's a toughie... ;-) ] Mind you, the
> quality issue is totally different, and I'm one that sacrifices
> quality only as a last resort...

That's where I ran into problems...some video I tried doing that with
recently still had lots of pulldown artifacts when the encoded video was
pulled back into VirtualDub and examined frame-by-frame.

> > Given that many (most?) DVDs are encoded at 23.976 fps (rip one and
> > split the VOBs with DVD2AVI to see for yourself)...
>
> WRT the DVD specs, I'll admit that I'm an appliance operator when it
> comes to them; don't much care about the specs other than the disks
> are 5" in diameter and don't easily fit unless the tray is open on
> the device. [[ and that you can't fit more than one disk in the
> tray... ;-) ]]
>
> WRT ripping DVDs, that sounds like way too much work for me.

SmartRipper makes it as simple as putting the DVD in and clicking a few
buttons. DVD2AVI is one of the programs I use all the time for working with
any MPEG-2 video, whether from a DVD, my TiVo, or elsewhere.

(It's useful if you're going somewhere and want to play movies on a notebook
that doesn't have a DVD-ROM drive...crunch the video down and burn it to a
couple of CDs, or just stick the MPEG files on the HD and play them from
there.)

_/_
/ v \ Scott Alfter (salfter@s...)
(IIGS( http://salfter.dyndns.org