[ExtractStream] Inverse 3:2 pulldown (was: Suggestions for Windows video editor?

Roger Merchberger zmerch7 at y...
Fri, 12 Jul 2002 16:59:23 -0700 (PDT)

--- Scott Alfter <yahoo@s...> wrote:
[snip]
> That's where I ran into problems...some video I tried doing that
> with
> recently still had lots of pulldown artifacts when the encoded
> video was
> pulled back into VirtualDub and examined frame-by-frame.

Well, sounds like VirtualDub should be the way to go. I tinkered with
the filters just a little in TMPGenc, and the "soften" filter didn't
seem to work well until there was too much loss of detail; mind you
if you have an evil case of artifacting it might help make it look
better tho... Didn't do much with the "sharpen" filter, might just
set up a couple of high-action segments with a bunch of "tinker"
settings & run a batch mode here in the next few days or so...

> SmartRipper makes it as simple as putting the DVD in and clicking a
> few buttons.

<mode sarcasm="thick">
*just* what we need - another application any moron can run...
</mode> (just in case: :-)

Sorry - I own an ISP, and after working with computers for 20 years,
I'm sick & tired of people: "Whaddya mean... I thought the internet
was just a coupla clicks. By the way: What's a right-click?"

Makes me wish I became a farmer sometimes... [[and as I was the local
FFA chapter's treasurer for 2 years, and the president for 1 year
back in high-school, I'm not making fun of farmers]] ...sometimes I
wonder if vegetables are smarter, and dammit - if you get a _really_
stupid cow, not only can you shoot it, you can *eat* it. ;-)

== That said, I can understand why others might want to do that, but
I personally hate watching video on my computer, let alone my laptop
(which has a DVD player in it). Movies are why I have a Sony 27" Wega
pure-flat TV & a couch with dual recliners built-in.

That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it,
Roger "Merch" Merchberger