[ExtractStream] More questions....

Roger Merchberger zmerch7 at y...
Fri, 12 Jul 2002 17:27:34 -0700 (PDT)

--- Scott Alfter <yahoo@s...> wrote:
> Does it really use both processors while encoding? One of my work
> machines
> is a dual Athlon MP 1900+, and encoding time for a single video
> clip isn't
> much faster than on the Athlon XP 1600+ on the other side of the
> desk.
> What I can do with it, though, is run two instances of TMPGEnc and
> encode
> two clips at the same time...they both run at full speed. I think
> some of
> the editing functions in TMPGEnc might use both processors, but I
> don't think the core MPEG-encoding functions do that.

I believe (but I didn't write the proggie, so I'm speculating on
this) that you have it backards. Most editing functions wouldn't
fully use 1 CPU, so it's prolly not multithreaded, but the MPEG
encoding is.

And lemme tell ya, TMPGEnc will use 'em, too. After 6 hours of
encoding or so, the top of my computer case is noticably warmer to
the touch than after 6 hours of Freecell...

Start TMPGEnc, click "Options" "Environmental Setting" then click the
"CPU" tab - you can enable MMX, MMX-2, SSE, SSE-2 (if you have a
Pentium 4 - greyed out for Athlons), 3D-Now!, and then: Use
Multi-thread, and when you do, you can choose the number of threads
(processors it says) to run. There are also multi-thread settings
below that: "enable pipeline" does things a little faster, "Enables
pipeline for Motion search" speeds it up a *lot*, but amazingly,
"Prefetch Video" slowed it down, and the bigger buffer I gave it, the
slower it got! :-/ In the immortal words of Billy Joel, "Don't ask
me why." :-)

But yea... [Warning: *rough* benchmarks] I can do 43 minutes of
video, CBR 29.97fps in about 2 hours 10 minutes, and 43 minutes of
VBR 29.97fps in just under 4 hours or so... My 1Ghz P3 took over 9
hours for 43 minutes of VBR, IIRC.

> I still use IDE for most things...the home system does have a pair
> of 60GB
> 120GXPs in software RAID-0 under Win2K, though, which hauls pretty
> nicely
> for capture (Huffyuv-compressed AVI from an AIW Radeon) and
> editing. It
> doesn't make nearly as much difference during encoding.

Huh? Wha? Where'd you get a software raid driver for Win2K??? I've
never heard of it! I thought it could only handle hardware raid.
Sumthin' tells me the 460W PS in my box could power a *few* more
drives... ;-) (My tyan board required it special-like...)

Laterz,
Roger "Merch" Merchberger