[ExtractStream] ReceiveStream

Bob Fronk bob at b...
Sat, 13 Jul 2002 10:13:40 -0400

Warren,

Thanks. The command line and last two paragraphs was all I needed.

I appreciate the time you took to put this together for us.

Now, off to give it a try!!

Have a good weekend.

Bob Fronk

-----Original Message-----
From: Warren Toomey [mailto:wkt@t...]
Sent: Saturday, July 13, 2002 2:14 AM
To: ExtractStream@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [ExtractStream] ReceiveStream

In article by Bob Fronk:
> Warren,
> Could you point me to more info on this, or give more "novice" level
> info.
> Thanks in advance.
> Bob

Ok, this is hopefully what you want. The TiVo records audio/video data
in
a combined format that is known as a TyStream. Several tools are
available
to extract a tystream recording from the TiVo to an external device (I
won't
point you at the tools, because there are several of them).

Now, it would be great to have a tool which could take this exported
tystream
and re-insert it into the TiVo, but there isn't one. However, there is a
way
of re-inserting a stream is you have it broken into separate audio and
video
components.

To do this, you need to use a tool like vsplit or vsplit13, which will
create an MPEG-2 video stream (.mpv) and an MPEG-2 layer 2 audio stream
(.mpa) from the original tystream.

Once you have these two files, you can throw the original tystream file
away (assuming you don't want to keep it). Now you can run the script
that I posted on your TiVo which will recombine and re-insert the two
files back on to the TiVo in the Now Showing.

For example, say I had recorded a 30 minute program (1800 seconds long)
which is now two files fred.mpv and fred.mpa. What I could do on the
TiVo is:

bash-2.02# tivosh file-to-recording.tcl fred Fred 'The Fred
Show' 0 1800

This would looks for the files fred.mpv and fred.mpa, recombine them,
install the combined tystream into the TiVo MFS filesystem as
/Recording/TmsId/Fred	(that's the second argument above). Then in Now
Showing you would find a program called 'The Fred Show' which was
recorded
starting at 0000 hours (midnight) and going for 1800 seconds (30
minutes).

The files fred.mpa and fred.mpv have to be visible to the TiVo in the
Unix
filesystem. So either you have to copy them over into /var, or you can
make
them visible by mounting an NFS or SMBFS filesystem.

Cheers,
Warren