[ExtractStream] More questions....

Roger Merchberger zmerch7 at y...
Sat, 13 Jul 2002 17:43:40 -0700 (PDT)

--- Scott Alfter <yahoo@s...> wrote:
> Win2K supports striping all by itself. Start MMC and go to Disk
> Management. [software RAID stuff snipped...]

Serious coolness. I had a 2-drive software RAID stripe under linux in
my last dual-proc. box (twin P2-400s) until it exploded; lightning
took out the modem, NIC, dual-head GeForce2, mobo, both CPUs &
768Megs of RAM all went +poof+. :-(( All that survived were my 2
9-gig UW IBM SCSI drives, my Plextor 40xMax UW CDROM, the SCSI zip,
and my ancient (but bulletproof) 6x2x2x Ricoh CD-RW drive (the first
RW drive on the market -- waited almost 6 months on pre-order for
that rascal to arrive... ;-) The fireport 40 interface still
"functioned" but it was *really* dodgy - I'd bet my bottom dollar
that it's what saved the drives!

Something tells me when I dig the box with the drives out of the
wreckage of my recent move, I *know* how I'm partitioning them
puppies! :-)

Even an old fart like me learns something new every day, but I
cherish the days when I learn *really cool schtuff!* :-)

Laterz,
Roger "Merch" Merchberger