[ExtractStream] More questions....

Scott Alfter yahoo at s...
Sat, 13 Jul 2002 17:05:46 -0700

On Fri, Jul 12, 2002 at 05:27:34PM -0700, Roger Merchberger wrote:
> --- Scott Alfter <yahoo@s...> wrote:
> > Does it really use both processors while encoding?
>
> And lemme tell ya, TMPGEnc will use 'em, too. After 6 hours of
> encoding or so, the top of my computer case is noticably warmer to
> the touch than after 6 hours of Freecell...
>
> Start TMPGEnc, click "Options" "Environmental Setting" then click the
> "CPU" tab - you can enable MMX, MMX-2, SSE, SSE-2 (if you have a
> Pentium 4 - greyed out for Athlons), 3D-Now!, and then: Use
> Multi-thread...

You learn something new every day. :-) I'll have to try that out the next
time I encode some video at work.

> > I still use IDE for most things...the home system does have a pair of
> > 60GB 120GXPs in software RAID-0 under Win2K, though, which hauls pretty
> > nicely for capture (Huffyuv-compressed AVI from an AIW Radeon) and
> > editing. It doesn't make nearly as much difference during encoding.
>
> Huh? Wha? Where'd you get a software raid driver for Win2K??? I've
> never heard of it! I thought it could only handle hardware raid.

Win2K supports striping all by itself. Start MMC and go to Disk Management.
Convert the drives you want to stripe from basic disks to dynamic disks
(right-click on the drive and select "Upgrade to Dynamic Disk").
Right-click on the unpartitioned space on one of the drives and select
"Create Volume." The wizard that comes up then lets you create a simple
volume (the only kind you get with basic disks), a spanned volume (useful if
you want to be able to add more storage later), or a striped volume
(software RAID-0, basically). Select "Striped Volume," add all dynamic
disks to the stripe, and go through the other options for formatting,
assigning a drive letter, etc.

_/_
/ v \ Scott Alfter (salfter@s...)
(IIGS( http://salfter.dyndns.org