[ExtractStream] MPEG2 Video Editing Software

Roger Merchberger zmerch7 at y...
Sat, 13 Jul 2002 17:52:18 -0700 (PDT)

--- Myles Wakeham <myles@t...> wrote:

> I started to hunt down some video editing software to remove
> commercials,
> etc. and I'm not really sure what to use. I tried VirtualDub which
> seems to
> do a great job, but it wants to save the edited file as a AVI file,
> and I'd
> like to stay in the MPEG2 world. Does anyone know of any
> commercial or
> non-commercial software that will allow me to edit out commercials
> directly
> from MPEG2 files without having to do yet another conversion on
> them?

Myles, buddy... didja check out my page? It 'splains ezactly how to
use TMPGEnc to encode everything but the commercials, then just burn
each "chapter" to SVCD thru Nero [or vcdimager, but I've never used
it].

http://tivo.30below.com/zmerch

<ShamelessPlug>
Remember, to anyone on the list, I'm offering a free homepage to
anyone here that wants one [no quotas provided you're gentle... ;-)
No vid swapping or anything like that], if anyone wants to put
anything up Tivo-related.
</ShamelessPlug>

TMPGEnc is free to use if you stay in the MPEG1 realm, the MPEG2
encoding functions work for 30 days; after that it's only $49.00,
IIRC. If there's any type of version upgrade, you get another 30
days, and it's being upgraded roughly every 45-60 days, plus, if
you're like me... Cygwin can be a *good* friend... 'Nuff said.

I'll admit it's not the super-smoothest interface to use, but it
seems to work well & the price seems right...

HTH,
Roger "Merch" Merchberger