Inverse Telecine 3:2 pulldown, and 23.976fps...

Roger Merchberger zmerch7 at y...
Fri, 19 Jul 2002 22:48:23 -0700 (PDT)

Okay, just for giggles I started tinkering with the NTSC-Film spec
for MPEG - 23.976fps using inverse telecine 3:2 pulldown to achive
it, and I did... well... kinda...

Got virtualdub, and used that to create an AVI of a section of
program with the low, low bitrate of 1900kbps and pretty much no
other filters, except to change the framerate, and it actually
created a *beauty* AVI... but without any way for virtualdub [stock,
I didn't dig that deep into compatible codecs...] to spit out an
MPEG2, I opened the AVI in TMPGEnc, and transcoded it into an .mpg
file, which played wonderfully on my PC... I was amazed with the
quality despite the lower bandwidth, so I could hardly wait to burn
it to a CD to test it on my DVD Player [[an Apex 500w]] and low &
behold... it played for crap. :-( It was all herky-jerky, the sound
stuttered & glitched, and was generally not watchable. :-(

So I thought: Maybe it's something in the AVI -> MPEG2 conversion
that's causing the glitches, so I used TMPGEnc's inverse telecine
function on the exact same clip, and altho the quality didn't seem
quite as good on my PC, it seemed liveable, at least for the sake of
testing... So I burned that to an SVCD, and lower & beholder, it was
*sheer evil*. There was glitches galore, some green & red blocks
doing whatever they wanted, the audio was nearly undecipherable at
times, and it wasn't ezactly a high-action clip - "Help around the
House."

So I'm betting that the problem isn't so much with the 23.976fps
MPEG2 stream, but with my DVD player not able to play that
framerate... :-( Ah well, I suppose I'll stick with 29.97fps just
like always...

Just thought the info might help others out there...

Laterz,
Roger "Merch" Merchberger