[ExtractStream] Inverse Telecine 3:2 pulldown, and 23.976fps...

Scott Alfter yahoo at s...
Sat, 20 Jul 2002 12:14:41 -0700

On Fri, Jul 19, 2002 at 10:48:23PM -0700, Roger Merchberger wrote:
> Got virtualdub, and used that to create an AVI of a section of
> program with the low, low bitrate of 1900kbps and pretty much no
> other filters, except to change the framerate, and it actually
> created a *beauty* AVI... but without any way for virtualdub [stock,
> I didn't dig that deep into compatible codecs...] to spit out an
> MPEG2, I opened the AVI in TMPGEnc, and transcoded it into an .mpg
> file, which played wonderfully on my PC... I was amazed with the
> quality despite the lower bandwidth, so I could hardly wait to burn
> it to a CD to test it on my DVD Player [[an Apex 500w]] and low &
> behold... it played for crap. :-( It was all herky-jerky, the sound
> stuttered & glitched, and was generally not watchable. :-(

When you encoded the video, was the encoding mode in TMPGEnc set to "3:2
pulldown when playback" [sic] and the frame rate set to 23.976 fps? Other
settings won't work when your source is film-rate NTSC. Video encoded this
way plays just fine on my Apex AD600A, which is an older player than yours.

TMPGEnc provides a preset file, "SuperVideoCD (NTSCFilm).mcf", that sets
this option correctly. I usually load that file, load "Extra\unlock.mcf",
and then make changes to those settings.

_/_
/ v \ Scott Alfter (salfter@s...)
(IIGS( http://salfter.dyndns.org
\_^_/ rm -rf /bin/laden