Inverse Telecine 3:2 pulldown, and 23.976fps...

modistru_999 modistru_999 at h...
Thu, 25 Jul 2002 20:42:15 -0000

> --- Scott Alfter <yahoo@s...> wrote:
> > When you encoded the video, was the encoding mode in TMPGEnc set
> > "3:2
> > pulldown when playback" [sic] and the frame rate set to 23.976
fps?
> > Other
> > settings won't work when your source is film-rate NTSC. Video
> > encoded this
> > way plays just fine on my Apex AD600A, which is an older player
> > than yours.
>
> No, the playback setting was set to Non-Interlaced, as that setting
> works best with my 29.97 fps video... I didn't think to change
> that...

Have to agree with Scott, as I've been doing NTSCFilm for a long time
now. Playback is great on the Pioneer & Apex I own.

-TMPGEnc settings-
Video:
- 4:3 display
- 23.976
- MP@M...
- NTSC
- 3:2 pulldown on playback
- 4:2:0
- 10 bits
- HQ (slow)
Advanced:
- Interlaced
- (Top/Bottom) first ??
- 4:3 display
- Full Screen (keep aspect ratio)
Filter:
- Inverse telecine, enable while encoding, double field adap.,
motion priority

This setting works pretty good. Almost everything I encode is 'Top
Field First'. If motion is jumpy all the time, try it the other way.

Quality is much, much better than 29.97, but every so often I see
some jitters (as if the field order changed). Usually lasts 3 or 4
seconds, and then it's back to its normal crunchy goodness. I would
say on a show like 'Enterprise', I'd get about 3~5 seconds worth of
jumpies per act (always in a row). Overall, IMHO, the quality looks
too good to not be doing NTSCFilm where possible, even with the
0.0857% jumpies. The best part of all is perfect slow-motion/still
frame. Never do you get a single or mixed field frame.

You do get screwed sometimes though. Like when you assume that the
source was 'telecined' when it wasn't. Sometimes you just gotta do
NTSC.

Rule of Thumb:
If you haven't encoded it at 23.976 before (one of a series/more of
the same), try a test or three. NTSCFilm may be good for ya.

Successful NTSCFilm conversions:
Enterprise (UPN)
Sopranos (HBO)
6Ft. Under (HBO)
Every movie that was filmed, not taped (so far).
Monk (USA)
--- Haven't tried yet, but pretty sure 'The Anna Nicole Show' will
not work @ 23.976. Bummer.

Issues:
RESULTANT VIDEO WILL NOT WORK WITH VideoPack 5.0 (tries to re-encode
to 29.97). Kind of stinks since that proggy rocks for menu creation.

Haven't seen any problems with the staple, the rock... Nero.

Good luck-