DVD Authoring Question

wjbode wjbode at h...
Sat, 27 Jul 2002 00:42:41 -0000

Just a quick question for those of you with DVD writers: What
disc authoring program do you use? The software I got with my DVD-
A04 drive is CyberLink PowerDirector Pro (PD), but I can't figure out
how to use it properly. It seems like the only MPEG-2 format it will
accept is 720x480 CBR 5000. If your input file is not in this
format, PD re-encodes it.

I encoded a DivX AVI using TMPEG and got a very nice looking MPEG
which was about 1.5 GB in size. When I import it into PD, the file
size shoots up to 4.8 GB and I can't burn it to DVD. I got the trial
version of Ulead DVD Movie Factory (DMF), and it likes the format (no
re-encoding). However, DMF has problems with NTSC-Film movies,
making it a lot less useful.

So, back to my question. What DVD authoring program is the best
for entry-level disc creation? Does any program out there support
all the goodies (NTSC-Film, VBR or CQ MPEG, MP2 audio, chapters,
etc.) but doesn't cost $5000? Your comments and suggestions would be
greatly appreciated! Thanks!

-- Wyatt Bode