New to the group, general questions

celledge2 celledge2 at y...
Wed, 05 Jun 2002 20:01:41 -0000

I am new to the group. I have a stand alone Tivo running 2.5
software and 2 X 40GB drives. I have installed Tivonet and played
around for a few days now. I have tried several tools to extract
video with only partial success. As a small test, I extracted the
Tivo demo and it converted flawlessly. However, when I try to
convert ty streams of my recordings, I either get video only or
nothing at all (all bad). I also get a green bar down the left side.

My questions:

Is it required to record at best quality? (dumb question I know, I
always do..just asking)

Do others have problems with only some recordings converting
successfully?

With so many tools out there now, what is the best combination of
extraction/conversion utilities? I have been using Tytool to extract
the ty streams because it is very easy to use. Then I have tried
several different conversion tools including Tytool and splitstream.
I just don't end up with good audio and video files.

Thanks for any advice. Also, thanks to those that have contributed
so much!!

Chris