Video extraction on a Directivo running 2.5

Arasirsul foxtrot at c...
Fri, 07 Jun 2002 18:14:23 -0000

I've got a Hughes GXCEB0T (same as a Philips 6000, as I understand)
Directivo running the Tivo 2.5 software. I would like to get to where
I can extract video from it-- ideally via a TurboNet adapter or the
like, but I'm willing to pull the disk out of the Directivo unit if
that's what's required, but I would prefer a solution where I can
leave everything plugged in.

Has anyone here done this (specifically with a TurboNet board and a
Philips or Hughes Directivo)? I am, unfortunately, a complete
neophyte to hacking tivos; I've done what reading I can find but most
of it seems to be aimed at non-DirectTV Tivos. My understanding is
this:

1) I need a bash prompt from my tivo via the serial port. Everything
I've read about how to do this requires either the 2.0 software or
the 2.5 Extreme, which I'd prefer not to go to. Is there a way to get
a bash session from the unit with normal version 2.5 software?

2) I need the Tivonet (or, in my case, Turbonet so I don't have to
take a hacksaw to the Tivo) card and the driver installed. This
shouldn't be tough once I've got a bash prompt and I've been able to
set things up so adding files doesn't crash the tivo.

3) I need ExtractStream (or, more appropriately, one of its
derivatives, it looks like ExtractStream in its canonical sense
doesn't understand Directivos) installed on the Tivo.

4) I need a client program on the PC end (I can do Windows or Linux,
so I have a few options here.) to talk to Extractstream, and then I
need something like TMPGenc to graft the streams back together.

Do I basically have the steps down correctly? Any hints on any of
these steps? Has anyone got a link to a howto on the first part? It
seems that my big trouble is that I'm using a Directivo-- there's
lots of info out there for standalone units, but not as much for
Directivos.

Thanks in advance!

J.D. Forinash