can't extract anything with any program

jfeynman122 jfeynman122 at y...
Sun, 09 Jun 2002 19:52:41 -0000

I've got a panasonic hdr212 tivo (US Stand alone unit) with version
2.5.1-01-1-000 of the tivo software. I've tried using TyTool (alpha
4), but its unable to complete a download of any show. I've tried
downloading a 30 minute show that was recorded at basic quality with
it, and it starts transfering the file, but then fails at a random
point, then starts over with a new output filename. It continues this
cycle until my hd is full of incomplete m2v files (also, after the
first unsuccessful dl, it seems to put the audio data in the txt file
and it doesn't create any new m2a files).

I've also tried using ExtractStream, but it either immediatly craps
out or it grabs the wrong stream. sendstream v2 mostly works, or
atleast the stream it sends is a fairly constant size. The 'actual
yield'(that is, how much video zss can move to m2v before throwing
the remainder of the stream in bad-X) of video after running zss can
range from 5 to 25 minutes (with a 30 minute show).

So far, my only successful process has gone like this:

1) find the id for the show I want to extract from the nowplaying
page served up from http-tt.tcl.
2) run tivosh
3) dumpobj the id from step 1
4) dumpobj all part id's from step 3 (for a 30min basic show, its
just one id. These have always been the id from step one with
a /12,/14,etc on the end)
5) run sendstream -s "file ids from 4" | ./nc -n -w3 192.168.1.20
11111
6) catch the stream on my linux box with ./nc -l -p 11111 > show.ty
7) use zss to split the show.ty into m2v and m2a
8) copy m2? to my win2k machine
9) use dvd2avi to make a d2v file from the m2v file
10) use tmpgenc to make an mpeg.

When I used ExtractStream, I did the exact same process, except with
ExtractStream in place of sendstream.

So, what am I doing wrong?

I also tried using tyc, but that threw a tremendous amount
of 'Skipping chunk bad timebase', and the mpeg it produced wouldn't
play in xine or win media player. I also tried using the hacked up
mplex, but it failed to produce anything.

What I'd really like is a way to do all ty to mpeg/avi/rm conversion
completely from the command line under linux with as little human
intervention as possible. Has anyone managed to do this?

Or, at the very least, a way to get the FSID without 2 cut and
paste's and running dumpobj twice?

Thanks, Jon