[ExtractStream] Re: What extraction apps work with 3.0?

Matthew Barr mbarr at m...
Mon, 24 Jun 2002 15:23:41 -0400

I don't have a new enough machine to have the dvd burner. I have a G4/400.
So- I'm not sure of the options for burning. I do know that apple has some
options out there for burning DVD's, but it may only be on the higher end
that it allows mpeg-2 straight out. QuickTime *does not* support mpeg-2.
QuickTime 6 does support mpeg-4, so Divx may be coming into that.. But I
already have divx working on my machine, under 5. It's just another
codec...

http://mpeg4.jamby.net/ and now the divosx QuickTime codec at
http://www.divx.com/divx/mac/

The Imac can't do analog output easily. You will have to get some sort of
firewire dv-> analog output. Ibooks & Powerbooks have svideo out, however,
I believe.

Streaming servers exist- QuickTime streaming server in particular is free.

Jaguar is a weird issue.. Not so much is known yet... Sorry.

Matthew

On 6/24/02 2:27 PM, "George_Cercone" <george_cercone@y...> wrote:

> Funny you mention OS X, I'm looking at either the iMac with the neat
> LCD on a neck, or a G4. Good to know there is an option. Have you
> burned to DVD yet? That is primarily my reason for doing it.
> I know I can spend $400-$500 on a DVD burner for the pc, but right
> now, I have a pc hiding behind the couch with an LCD screen, with
> analog input/output to my 36"wega, firewire ports to external drives
> and cables out the wazoo, so a nice clean box with it all inside is
> my thinking. Also wondering with the support on Jaguar for mpeg2 and
> divx, if a descent streaming server can be setup from the mac as well.
>
> -G
>
>________
Matthew Barr mailto:mbarr@m...
AIM: MBarr1244 ICQ: 22130424
Hm: (212) 961-1083 M:(646) 765-6878
PGP Key Fingerprint = 35DC DC87 4F38 2E80 F327 2B50 FD82 A2CB CB80 80F3