[ExtractStream] Re: What extraction apps work with 3.0?

Scott Alfter yahoo at s...
Mon, 24 Jun 2002 23:33:00 -0700

On Mon, Jun 24, 2002 at 01:38:06PM -0400, Matthew Barr wrote:
> OK- assuming that my experience w/ OS X is probably just as effective:
>
> I use either extractstream or sendstream w/ nc on the tivo side.

Since I've not gotten the old NowShowing (the one that gives you the stream
numbers) to work, I'm using TivoApp to extract. Behind the scenes, it uses
sendstream and netcat, so the effect is the same.

> I tried tivoapp, and such on the pc side. No dice- I may not have been
> doing things right..

It appeared to work, but the result didn't play.

> I now use tyc, with the modest changes suggested on the list to
> operate/compile on OS X. I imagine you won't have that problem. It takes a
> .ty file and outputs a .mpg2 file. W/ VLC it plays perfectly. That's all I
> cared about.

I tracked down the site that had this program; they also had TyConvert,
which is the program on which tyc was based. It produces a file that 99%
plays OK. There's a small glitch at the beginning in PowerDVD, and TMPGEnc
won't load it. DVD2AVI doesn't complain, though...and what's more, the
audio is in sync! I've had to give VirtualDub audio skew corrections in the
past; looks like I won't need that anymore. Being able to just play the
stream as-is on my computer in the proper aspect ratio (PowerDVD does this)
could also be nice.

_/_
/ v \ Scott Alfter (salfter@s...)
(IIGS( http://salfter.dyndns.org