[ExtractStream] What is the best way to upsample 32KHz sound to 44.1KHz

Scott Alfter yahoo at s...
Sat, 29 Jun 2002 13:48:37 -0700

On Sat, Jun 29, 2002 at 01:58:05PM -0000, ik_ik_37 wrote:
> I am looking for the best sounding way to upsample the 32khz sound
> file from my UK TiVo to 44.1KHz or 48KHz, without the result
> sounding yukky. I have tried writing a non-standard VCD using Nero
> with the 32KHz sound track and my Toshiba 9000 DVD player won't play
> it back correctly (the sound speeds up, very comical).
> [...]
> Any ideas, preferably using shareware or cheaper software, no $600
> packages thanks.

I always thought sox did a pretty good job of bitrate conversion:

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/sox/SOX12171W.ZIP

Extract the files to a directory, add it to your path, and then try
something like this:

sox in.wav -r 44100 out.wav polyphase

or

sox in.wav -r 44100 out.wav resample -ql

The first method uses polyphase interpolation; the second uses quadratic
interpolation. You might want to try both and determine for yourself which
sounds better. The software is free (as in speech), so source downloads are
available in the same directory as the Win32 binary linked above.

_/_
/ v \ Scott Alfter (salfter@s...)
(IIGS( http://salfter.dyndns.org
\_^_/ rm -rf /bin/laden