[ExtractStream] solution for no netcat not available

Roger Merchberger zmerch7 at y...
Sun, 3 Mar 2002 21:21:01 -0800 (PST)

--- Grant Stockly <grant@s...> wrote:

> Run this on the tivo:
> cd /var
> mkfifo ty1
> mkfifo ty2
> mkfifo ty3
> mkfifo ty4
> mkfifo ty5
>
> cat ty1 ty2 ty3 ty4 ty5 > transfer &

Question: I've never fiddled with fifos before, so I'm just
wondering: as 'transfer' isn't explicitly created as a fifo, is it
considered a file, a link, or what?

> mfs_export xxx ty1; mfs_export xxx ty2; mfs_export xxx ty3;
> mfs_export xxx
> ty4; mfs_export xxx ty5
>
> tivoftpd
>
> Now go to any computer with FTP and download "/var/transfer".
> There are no
> file transfer size limitations because fifos are not files. Timing
> is not
> critical, running mfs_export before the client computer starts
> receiving
> just causes the kernel to block.

So, this _should_ work if you're using extractstream/sendstream:

cd /var
mkfifo ty1

sendstream -s xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx | cat ty1

tivoftpd ## if it's not already running...

and go to another machine and ftp /var/ty1

If that wouldn't work, lemme know why not... I'd like to learn more
about these fifos...

Thanks,
Roger "Merch" Merchberger