[ExtractStream] solution for no netcat not available

Grant Stockly grant at s...
Sun, 03 Mar 2002 20:29:20 -0900

> > cat ty1 ty2 ty3 ty4 ty5 > transfer &
>
>Question: I've never fiddled with fifos before, so I'm just
>wondering: as 'transfer' isn't explicitly created as a fifo, is it
>considered a file, a link, or what?

transfer IS a fifo, I forgot to put it in. : ) Think of it as I/O
redirection, or a buffer, first in-first out. No bytes are lost if they
can't be read fast enough, the kernel "blocks" I/O.

>cd /var
>mkfifo ty1
>
>sendstream -s xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx | cat ty1
>
>tivoftpd ## if it's not already running...
>
>and go to another machine and ftp /var/ty1
>
>If that wouldn't work, lemme know why not... I'd like to learn more
>about these fifos...

That would work fine. I use mfs_export because sendstream crashes too
often. You -could- even use extract stream...twice. One time direct audio
to /dev/null and video over ftp via fifo...and the next time audio over
fifo and video to /dev/null.

If its possible to open two ftp sessions to tivoftpd, then you could do
video and audio together. By nature of fifos and the video/audio
relationship the transfers would stay synchronized. (extract stream isn't
going to write more audio stream (in ratio) than video at a time, so one
transfer will never "take" too much bandwidth, or one of the fifo's will
start blocking I/O.

Grant