Audio sync - I'm new to this

skorous skorous at y...
Thu, 07 Mar 2002 21:00:02 -0000

Ok. So I've got the TiVo on the net, extraction works wonderfully.
I can get my split Audio and Video files but haven't been able to
sync them up _reliably_. Out of about 30 extractions only a half
dozen have worked correctly. Most of them start off correct but then
drift off after time such that at the end of a 40 minute show they're
off by two seconds or so (video ahead of audio). I've tried almost
everything but haven't had much sucess. What's making me crazy is
that a half dozen _DID_ work and I don't know why. I have a feeling
it's something obvious I'm doing and I'm grateful for any clues which
can be bestowed upon me. Here's what I've tried.

[ExtractStream/SendStream] via [NetCat/NFS] to get .ty files which
I've split with [splitstream/TivoApp] then multiplexed with TMPEnc.

TivoApp to extract both .mpg and .ty files which I've multiplexed
with TMPEnc.

ExtractStream via NetCat to netmplex on a linux box where I've tried
mplex and TMPEnc to multiplex them.

The only things I know of that I haven't tried are:

1) Converting the m2a file to a wavefile before encoding. Since I got
a couple of them to work I'm not holding out hope for this unless
somebody tells me that's my problem (preferrably with a good
explanation :-) ).

2) Going entirely to MJPegTools using the mpeg2dec -> mpegenc route.
mpegenc dumps core on my linux box (I'm not sure but I'm thinking it
might be the defective gcc compiler still on it).

Again, thanks in advance for any help.

Marty