Experiences with Sony2000 SA and WinME

zathrasinspace douglass at a...
Thu, 07 Mar 2002 13:08:27 -0600 (CST)

Roger Merchberger wrote:
> --- zathrasinspace <douglass@...> wrote:
> > So, I did. Ran the concatenated tystream through tyconvert. It
> > died where the second mpg would have started with:
> >
> > Access violation at address 00402c9c in module 'TYCONVERT.EXE'.
> > Read of address 00581234
>
> "Access Violation" is [usually]
> when a C pointer goes outside of it's
> own program space, and the program is shut down. This is usually a
> bug in the program - where something "undefined" happens, and the
> program doesn't know how to handle it.
>
> *Prolly* something in the Sony Tivo stream is different from the
> norm, and the program can't handle it & barfs...

My thoughts exactly. I expect ExtractStream and splitstream remove
whatever header secondary tystreams have while they're combining several
tystreams into one. But they're not doing it right.

Anybody have a favorite hex viewer you can recommend?

> I'm trying to make it easier to log that information in zss - my
> (so far slightly) modified version of splitstream that can be found
> at my tivo page:
> http://www.30below.com/~zmerch/tivo/index.cfm

Hehehe... Your site's the closest thing to a TiVo bible, Roger. Now, you
and a host of other people have already solved so many of my
problems. So, how's about fixing [what I hope is] the last of my
problems, and make zss capable of doing what ExtractStream and
sendstream won't do for me, and that is to skip over the initial block
of stuff in secondary tystreams? And, No hurry - Saturday's fine! :-)

[snip of patient "Look at the CYGWIN's setup.exe again."]

After posting, I saw how to get the downloaded stuff to install.

My only complaint with cygwin is that I can't seem to get the dos window
to emulate an Xterm, and give me 80 lines and a large scrollbar.
Otherwise, grep and gawk from a bash-prompt is tres cool.

John