DirecTiVo and extraction -- how do I do it?

billyb111b billyb111b at y...
Tue, 12 Mar 2002 16:52:18 -0000

DirecTiVo is completely different monster than SA because of the
different PROM and other security enhancment. In order to extract,
you need Bash, in order to get bash, you need to disable the checksum
self test at the PROM level and zero out the initrd portion of the
kernel, which can only be done at 2.0.

I did it last week, and it goes like this... (if you are at 2.5)

Backup your 2.5
Downgrade to a 2.0 image
replace the PROM with one that skips the checking
upgrade to 2.5
zero out the initrd
Now you can boot and access BASH

Now your not done, because all DTivo streams are scrambled, you can
extract tystreams, but they are junk.

There are kernel patches that will disable scrambling, I haven't
taken it this far just yet, but they come at a cost.

Fact is, DirecTV and TiVo would prefer you not taking things from
their proprietary bitstream, and they make it a PITA to do so.

check out the DealDatabase Forum for in depth DirecTiVo hacking info
not posted elsewhere.

Good Luck

--- In ExtractStream@y..., "Trevor Sky Garside" <trevor@t...> wrote:
> Hey, all.
>
> Looking to see if anybody knows where I can find a walkthrough
that'll take
> me from a Virgin unit to being able to extract streams. The catch
is I have
> a DirecTiVo.
>
> In the interest of disclosure, I have previously hacked an SA unit
> extract streams, and had moderate success, but that was awhile ago,
and I've
> since sold the SA and bought a DirecTiVo.
>
> Second, unrelated question: Anybody know anything about the
TurboNet? Any