[ExtractStream] Re: Alternate TV listing options

Roger Merchberger zmerch7 at y...
Tue, 12 Mar 2002 11:32:38 -0800 (PST)

--- skorous <skorous@y...> wrote:
> --- In ExtractStream@y..., "john_pappas" <bunt643@h...> wrote:
> > Rant about service alternatives snipped <
>
> I agree with you that selling your soul for $36/year is pretty
> lame.
> Two years ago a candy bar was only $.50 but now it $.75. That's a
> 50%
> increase but you don't see me boycotting Mars or Nestle...
>
> In fairness, I do believe that people who aren't using the dial-ups
> should receive a price break (we're paying for our own internet
> service) but I can understand the difficulties that would probably
> bring.

... or at the very least, when the backdoors are enabled, the Tivo
should at least give you a 3 or 5 day warning before the "magic
reboot" for an upgrade so you can go in and re-do your changes on
the upgraded drive before it reboots using the new root partition...

> > To keep my post on topic, here is a question about
> ExtractStream...
> >
> > I've got so far as to synch up each of 3 segments of some 30
> minute
> > shows, and then combine them with TMPGEnc so as to have a single
> mpg
> > file that is synched as close as I can get it. I got that far by
>
> > doing:
> > ExtractStream ->
> > WinAmp for wav and DVD2AVI for d2v ->
> > TMPGEnc to combine each audio + video into 3 segments ->
> > VirtualDub to synch audio in each ->
> > TMPGEnc to combine the three segments.
> >
> > The problem is that this file is synched, but after I remove
> > commercials in Adobe Premiere, and export via bbMPEG using fairly
>
> > standard settings, the audio is out of synch later in the
> resulting
> > file. Both VirtualDub and Premiere are set to interlace every
> frame
> > in my setup. When I check the same few spots in the show in the
> > combined file I edited using Premiere, audio and video are
> synched.
> > Any idea what I could be doing wrong? I'm getting close to
> wiping
> my
> > TiVo and starting over using only BEST encoding to see if that
> fixes
> > my synch issues in my extracted video. I've tried a lot of the
> other
> > methods here and haven't come up with a good product yet.
> >
> > thanks, and no offense STUFTOYS, I just want people to support
> TiVo.
> > -john
>
> I don't believe that converting to Best will solve your problem
> though I could easily be wrong. I've successfully sync'ed a half
> dozen Basic shows in the last two days thanks to the process
> similar to the one you've followed. The differences are:
>
> I used sendstream and splitstream to make the .m2a and .m2v files
> I've been using TMPEnc to combine and sync audio/video
> and I've used Uleads DVD software to cut commercials.
>
> I just finished up a 2+ hour Best program a few minutes ago. I'm
> betting it's Premiere but in the interest of fair disclosure <rant>
> have a deep-seated dislike of Adobe and they'd be my primary
> suspect
> regardless just because they're EVIL!</rant>

For the most part, I agree - but for those of use who use PageMaker
know that once in a while a decent program can come from a hotbed of
Hades... ;-)

> As with John's note, I meant no offense to STUFTOYS or anyone
> either.
> Different opinions are welcome though possibly ignored. :-)

<prick mode>

Unlike the previous folks' notes, I don't give an airborne rodent's
derriere <sp?> who I offend by calling someone nasty things who tries
to steal service from a company that has been fairly tolerant of the
hacker community. The last thing we need is for Tivo Corp. to go
MacroShaft on us...

Pay or don't pay, I don't give a damn... just quit whimpering here &
crawl back under the stone you came from.

</prick mode>

That said, remember that [prolly] 90+% of use are doing Tivo
extraction *for legal use*... i.e. nothing more than a
higher-quality;cheaper-media VCR, which last I checked wasn't an
illegal device.

My question is this: For those of us who 1) have or 2) are about to
get the lifetime service for our Tivo[s], where is the serial #
stored? If it's in the flash ROM of the chip, there might be a way of
xferring the serial # or the entire BIOS code (if it's an identical
unit) to a new flash ROM of a new unit if Tivo refuses the right to
fix a dead tivo & xfer the lifetime subscription to a new box...
I have a PROM reader/writer that will read up to 4Mbit E/EE/Flash
PROMs & the SMD rework station will prolly get ordered in a few
weeks. All I need after that is an adapter for TSOPs for the PROMmer
& I'd be able to start tinkering with that kind of stuff... Anyone
have a TU Tivo cheap? ;-)

That I might resort to *iif* Tivo refused to repair my unit...

Laterz,
Roger "Merch" Merchberger