[ExtractStream] Re: Alternate TV listing options

Dimaz Fathroen dimaz at c...
Tue, 12 Mar 2002 23:28:23 -0600

Hi Roger,

> ... or at the very least, when the backdoors are enabled, the Tivo
> should at least give you a 3 or 5 day warning before the "magic
> reboot" for an upgrade so you can go in and re-do your changes on
> the upgraded drive before it reboots using the new root partition...

There is a way to prevent tivo from upgrading. You can find the info at
tivo's AVS forum.

> My question is this: For those of us who 1) have or 2) are about to
> get the lifetime service for our Tivo[s], where is the serial #
> stored? If it's in the flash ROM of the chip, there might be a way of
> xferring the serial # or the entire BIOS code (if it's an identical
> unit) to a new flash ROM of a new unit if Tivo refuses the right to
> fix a dead tivo & xfer the lifetime subscription to a new box...
> I have a PROM reader/writer that will read up to 4Mbit E/EE/Flash
> PROMs & the SMD rework station will prolly get ordered in a few
> weeks. All I need after that is an adapter for TSOPs for the PROMmer
> & I'd be able to start tinkering with that kind of stuff... Anyone
> have a TU Tivo cheap? ;-)

There is info on how to change Tivo's serial number in dealdatabase forum
for exactly this purpose (transfering from dead Tivo). You might wanna check
it out.