[ExtractStream] Re: Alternate TV listing options

Mark Jeffcoat jeffcoat at a...
Sun, 17 Mar 2002 09:44:28 -0600

On Sat, Mar 16, 2002 at 12:59:42PM -0800, David Ranch wrote:

> I tried multiple times in the past using ONLY linux but with
> pretty poor quality results. Any thoughts? I'd like to FULLY
> automate the entire process. I documented all my linux scripts
> and even the creation of the TivoNET here:

I've only got Linux, and even with the help of Chris Chiappa's
page at http://www.chiappa.net/~chris/tivo_linux_extract.html,
I found all the Linux re-encoding software to lie somewhere
between not very useful and a complete waste of time. I'm
getting my SVCD fix by adjusting the recording resolution
and bitrates directly on the Tivo (using Tivoweb). This
avoids re-encoding, and I'm quite satisfied with the quality,
as long as I don't get too greedy in how much I try to
fit on one CD.

Your mileage may vary, but I think you'll be doing well to
get most of the non-Windows based tools just to build--I
just got tired of messing with them and found changing the
bitrate on the Tivo to be far and away the best time/quality
trade-off.

--
Mark Jeffcoat