How long to extract a video?

gssmallie scotts at s...
Tue, 19 Mar 2002 20:30:09 -0000

--- In ExtractStream@y..., "skorous" <skorous@y...> wrote:
> --- In ExtractStream@y..., "knightshade23" <dblum1@r...> wrote:
> > Hello -
> >
> > For some reason, it took me ~3 hours to get a stream
> > off of the Tivo to an NFS mount point on a Sun box at my house.
> > From other FAQs that I've read it should take 20min-1hr.
> > (I'm using a TivoNet from 9thTee.)

I have encounter similar issues using nfs to an OpenBSD machine. I
switched to nc and my problems were solved. nc takes a little more
setup than nfs, but it was not complicated.

NFS was about 1.4mb per minute. (much slower than expected)
nc was about 900k per second. (full 10mbit ethernet)

I plan to review the nfs configurations on both my OpenBSD machine and
the tivo. To get good throughput they will both need to be NFS 3.
NFS 3 is much better at large data transfers than NFS 2.

-scotts