Extraction success

artships0 douglass at n...
Sun, 31 Mar 2002 01:25:45 -0000

Thanks to Roger and Joshua, my process, for a Sony2000 Stand-alone
with 40G and 160G disk is:

1. Using TiVoApp, replacing ExtractStream on the TiVo the new
mfs_export utility that extracts multiple fsids to stdout, instead of
one at a time to a file: mfs_stream_withpri1.zip, found at
<http://dealdatabase.com/forum/attachment.php?s=&postid=38650>
I've tried ExtractStream, sendstream, ExactStreamDx1, they all died
midway through the process. mfs_stream_withpri1 works, and lets you
donwload without making TiVo stutter. Note that you must only
download the tystream. You cannot have it split on the TiVo.

2. Tyc manages to successfully convert every tystream to an mpg.
Tyconvert also works. Roger's zss usually does, but ocassionally
produces a bigger error file than an audio file.

3. Per Roger's page, I load the mpg into DVD2AVI, then save as "new
project". I'm not sure I really need to do this anymore.

4. Load the d2v file from DVD2AVI into the video part of TMPGenc, and
load the mpg into the audio.

5. Burn with Nero. My over-sized CD-R's are on the way. Just had to
remember to edit the properties, "Exter", I think, to enable CD-R's
greater than 700MB (for when mine ovme in).

6. Play on AD1500, THE el cheapo play-anything player. Hacked it to
add my own screensaver, and make it region-free and macro-vision-free.
Funky remote control, though.

A question for Roger: I tried your settings, but the resulting files
wouldn't fit on a CD-R. You sure about the bit-rate?

Again, thanks to Roger's bible (and his encouragement to use Cygwin)
and Joshua's mfs_stream, this *process* has become almost
ISO9001-compliant.

John