Could we categorize every tool? - right on and a challenge

jemenake joe at e...
Thu, 02 May 2002 00:52:01 -0000

--- In ExtractStream@y..., Roger Merchberger <zmerch7@y...> wrote:
> What we need is not
> only someone to think up a classification scheme, but someone who
can
> also put pen to paper (or fingers to keyboard as it were) and get
> that scheme published, and most importantly, *keep* it updated &
> current.

Well, I can make something like that. I had figured on a database
that would know about all of the tools (tyconvert, tivoapp,
sendstream, tmpgenc, etc). Then, we, as a community, could enter the
data about what steps of the process each tool does and what platform
it runs on. Then, each of us could have a "vote" as to how easy it is
to use, how expensive it is, how good of a job it does, etc. Then,
the database could dynamically maintain a list of the "current best"
tool for each step.

- Joe