[ExtractStream] what is better Tivo 2.5 or Tivo 1.3????

Marc Lavergne mlavergn-pub at r...
Fri, 10 May 2002 09:47:00 -0400

I am no expert on this subject. However, from a pure video extraction
point of view I don't think there is any difference from all I have
seen. The advantage of 1.3 over 2.5 lies solely in hacking binaries (ie.
replacing parts of the subsystem). The most important topic in video
extraction are what your target OS is and which tool to use. One note, I
think VBR encoding was introduced in 2.5 (or is that 3.0) and you will
want to make certain it's not enabled if you don't want gritty looking
video. Personally, I use PlayItSam:

http://minnie.tuhs.org/Programs/Playitsam/README.html

It's for Linux only and is quite simply awesome.

Quick note, if you have 1.3 and want to subscribe but stay on 1.3,
you'll need to tweak the file permissions to keep TiVo from upgrading
the subsystem. I forget the specifics but it's pretty well documented on
the 'net.