[ExtractStream] what is better Tivo 2.5 or Tivo 1.3????

Roger Merchberger zmerch7 at y...
Fri, 10 May 2002 10:16:12 -0700 (PDT)

--- kriscomach <biskupiec@h...> wrote:
> Can someone tell me is it easyer to extract video from 1.3 or 2.5
> with tivoftpd. also when you go to the directory that has your film
> what is the file name that I should be looking at? Please help.

As far as video extraction differences between versions, I haven't
seen any difference between 1.3, 2.0 & 2.5 - provided you turn off
the VBR encoding ("Save Space feature") in 2.5.

As far as using tivoftpd for video extraction, it's not going to work
unless you have a secondary hard drive in the Tivo that's not
blessed, but just formatted to the EXT2 filesystem that Linux uses.
You would then need to make sure that drive is mounted in your
/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit file so if your Tivo reboots, it's automagically
remounted. Then you'd have to use sendstream/mfs_export or another
video extraction utility and actually save the tystream *to that
harddrive*. -- _To my knowledge_, no-one uses this method.

Most people use either netcat (the 'nc' program as outlined on my
extraction page) or mount a drive on a different Linux/Unix box over
NFS. (Very few people that I know of have had any luck with the Samba
network drive mounting over Winders). The nc method, to me anyway,
seems a little simpler to understand what's going on, but the NFS
mounting would make it a little easier to make a multiple-extraction
utility _once everything's set up_. Of course, one would need at
least some basic Linux exposure & the ability to read manpages to set
up the NFS server functions on the target machine.

HTH,
Roger "Merch" Merchberger