[Extractstream [MM]] simplest path to VCD

Brett Kuehner bvk at pobox.com
Sun, 17 Nov 2002 14:56:53 -0500

The simplest way that I've found to get from the Tivo to a VCD with proper
audio sync (although not necessarily the best quality possible) is the
following:

1) Extract files from Tivo using jdiner's TyTool (a really excellent app,
by the way). Do this in split mode, so you end up with .m2v and .m2a files

2) Mux them into a single .mpg file with TmpgEnc (File/MPEG Tools/Simple
Mux). This is pretty quick (a few minutes on my PC, for a half-hour show),
and results in an MPG file that can be played fine on the PC, with no sync
problems on any shows that I've tried.

3) Process this file with FlasKMPEG, using the "bbMPEG Encoder" as the
Output format (Options/Select Output Format), and the "NTSC VCD" profile
(Profiles/NTSC VCD), and leaving all other settings as default. This
produces a VCD-compliant MPEG file (called, by default, "C:\flaskout").
This takes a bit longer, but is still maybe only 15 minutes for a half-hour
show on my Athlon 1800.

4) Rename that file to something.MPG, and then burn to VCD with Nero (or
your favorite VCD-burning tool).

This seems to work reliably, and to not have any sync problems at all. I
tried using just TmpgEnc to do all the work, but it doesn't like to process
the muxed files (crashes). I imagine there is a bad MPEG record in them
somewhere that messes it up. And if you skip the muxing step, the file
TmpgEnc produces has sync problems.

The quality of the result could be better, and there are probably options
that could be tweaked to improve it, but for now this is good enough for
me. I can turn a show on the Tivo into a VCD in around an hour from start
to finish, with not too much work on my part, and using only free tools
(except for the CD-burning app).

TmpgEnc: http://www.tmpgenc.net
FlaskMPEG: http://www.flaskmpeg.net/

         Brett