[Extractstream [MM]] Extracting tivo recordings on a PC?

Fedor G. Pikus pikus at pikus.net
Tue, 19 Nov 2002 09:05:51 -0800 (PST)

My apologies to those who receive this mail from both Yahoo and the
merlins list.

Is it possible to connect Tivo drives to a Linux PC and extract
recordings?

Here is the situation: my (upgraded) tivo failed because one of the two
hard drives is dying. I brought Tivo back to life by restoring the
original image onto new hard drive, so I have a nice 280 hours Tivo, but
I want my recordings back :)
Now, one of the two disks with recordings is ok, and even with the other
one, I can get most data out of it. But I cannot boot Tivo with these
two disks. So my only chance is to extract the video using my PC.
Is there a way to do it?

BTW, dd-ing old disks onto new disks does not work, new disks won't boot
either. Even doing mfsbackup on old disks to mfsrestore on new disks does
not work: the old drive A has errors in sectors which are apparently
needed for Tivo to boot up.

Thanks,
Fedor

--