[Extractstream [MM]] Jittery picture when converting sports event to DVD

Roger Ly RLy at homestead-inc.com
Tue, 19 Nov 2002 14:15:35 -0800

Hey all,
=20
I was wondering if there was a good resource that I can look into for
setting up all the TMPGEnc values when converting my Best Quality Tivo
stream to a DVD-burnable format.
=20
I have a Phillips SA 312 with 3.0x.  I am running TyTools to extract the
m2v, m2a from my Tivo.  Running the m2v through DVD2AVI, VFAPI,
VirtualDub and TMPGEnc to output a 720x480, 3000 CBR, 48Khz mpg stream
that I am burning to some DVD-RWs.
=20
Viewing the TMPGEnc output stream on my computer seems perfect, but it
is only when I am viewing it on my set top that the video gets jerky
when things are moving around.  (I am archiving some World Series games
on DVD, and since it is a live sporting event, things are moving pretty
quickly).  It seems like, in some cases, the video as it is progressing,
sometimes is rendering some frames out of sequence.
=20
Let's say a guy is running from left to right.  Sometimes, I'll see the
guy go to the right in one frame, right again, jump back left, and jump
forward two steps back to the right in four consecutive frames (sorry, I
don't know how best to describe what I am seeing).  It hurts my head to
watch this happen, and with the camera panning so often and so quickly,
the picture is almost unwatchable at times.
=20
Anyways, I wonder if in encoding the picture, that I could tweak the GOP
frames a bit so the motion rendering is more realistic.  But, I really
don't know where to start looking. =20
=20
Has anyone had any experience burning live sporting events filmed at
(what I assume to be) 29.97 frames/sec to DVD? =20
=20
I tried encoding under these settings:
=20
Tried the following with these three settings:
*	2 pass - Max 9Mbps, Min 3Mbps, Avg 6Mbps
*	CBR - 6 Mbs
*	CBR - 3 Mbs
=20
720x480 NTSC
4:3 Display
VBV Buffer: 112
Interlace
DC Component precision: 1 bits
Motion search precision: highest quality
=20
Bottom Field first (field B)
Video Arrange method: Full Screen
=20
GOP:
I frames: 1
P frames: 5
B frames: 2
=20
Haven't changed quantize matrix (not sure how to)
=20
=20
I've burnt an image using SpruceUp and burned the image to disc using
Prassi Primo DVD.
=20
Roger Ly
Homestead Technologies, Inc.