[Extractstream [MM]] Re: Tivo->DVD rip at 720x480

John Douglass douglass at artships.com
Fri Jan 3 14:27:31 2003

On Thu, 2 Jan 2003 23:05:37 -0800, <RLy@homestead-inc.com> wrote:

>So, after perusing the various boards out there, and testing a little on=
 my machine, I decided to
>change my recording settings on my Tivo to 720x480 for easier dumping to=
 DVD.

>Since the resolution is at DVD acceptable ranges, I assume I wouldn't =
need to re-encode my video
>streams, right?  I would imagine that I still need to change my audio =
fro 32khz to 48khz though...

Yup.

>Anyways, I still need to edit out the commercials from my video, but I =
have been doing so through
>VirtualDub, which frameserved to TMPGEnc.  Doing the same now would =
require that I pipe the
>video through an encoder again, which I don't want to do.

Yup.  Too bad we can't frameserve to TMPGEnc's Merge&Cut MPEG Tool.

>Is there a good way to edit a (de)multiplexed video and drop the =
commercials?  I keep hearing bad
>things about the TMPGEnc->MPEG Tools->Merge and Cut and how it is =
difficult to properly cut
>MPEG frames on the correct boundaries, etc.

The correct boundary, I think, is an I frame.  When using VirtualDub
and pressing the "Next I Frame" button I find that there are I frames
pretty much everywhere.  Maybe, find the exact frame you want to cut
in VirtualDub, write-down the time, and adjust TMPGEnc's Merge&Cut to
that exact time?

>If there isn't any way for me to do this w/out the re-encode, I may as =
well go back to the regular
>Tivo settings, since I am seeing a little more pixelation when watching =
fast moving shows (like
>basketball, etc.) on LiveTV.

You're getting pixelization?  Which settings did you change?  The ones
listed at http://tivo.30below.com/jdouglass/website_bitrates.html ?