[Extractstream [MM]] Re: Avisynth (was: Using LSX to encode DVD)

John Douglass douglass at artships.com
Sat Jan 4 09:03:13 2003

On Fri, 3 Jan 2003 15:35:10 -0800, scott@alfter.us wrote:

>> Um, why?  TMPGEnc will also run it through LAME during the transcode.
>> (Why may become apparent in a moment.)
>
>Last time I checked, TMPGEnc doesn't use LAME...

My mistake.  It optionally uses tooLAME as the "MPEG-1 Audio Layer II
encoder",  and ssrc as the "Sampling frequency convertor.".

>> >Get the inverse telecine filter (another DLL) and you can apply that =
>> >shows that were originally filmed:
>> >InverseTelecine(40,10,15)
>>
>> I'm... An unbeliever, here, as I don't see every fourth frame being a
>> copy of another frame.
>
>It's not that simple.  When video is telecined, one field from every =
other
>frame is duplicated.  Two of the five output frames contain one field =
from
>each of two input frames.  This URL describes how film is telecined:
>
>http://www.geocities.com/ksong1222/telecine.htm
>
>It follows with a page that describes what's involved in doing inverse
>telecine.

I'll take a look.  Thanks.

Still unbelievable, though the thought still makes me drool.  It took
me 900 minutes to transcode 90 minutes of show on my 850MHz Athlon.

>I'm not sure if doing the editing/processing in Avisynth will =
necessarily
>cut your encoding time.

I tried it.  It didn't make it shorter, which was not a surprise.  It
did, however, let me skip the Merge&Cut step to join all the
non-advert parts of a Firefly episode.  But... Well, I'll get to that
later.  Anyway, I was surprised to see the display in TMPGEnc in
720x480.  It made me think it was a shame I had to have TMPGEnc
"transcode" when Avisynth appeared fully able to deliver an already
reformated video.

>  I suspect that Avisynth is more efficient at
>editing and processing than TMPGEnc, though, given that Avisynth's job =
is to
>edit and process video and audio and TMPGEnc's primary job is to encode
>video.

Personally, I like seeing the audio beneath the picture, so I think
I'll stick with editing with TMPGEnc.  Especially as, when I used
Avisynth to frameserve to TMPGEnc, the audio was hosed - Everything
was vibrato;  All the dialogue and music sounded like it was delivered
by machine-gun.  It was a disappointing show-stopper for me.  Oh, and
I used a wav file for the audio created by winamp from the m2a file.

>  Avisynth is also much more flexible WRT the kinds of things you can
>do with it.  (For instance, I created a script at work that superimposes=
 two
>video clips onto a static background.  That took a while to figure out, =
but
>it's pretty slick.)

And you had no sound issues?  Interesting.  Otherwise, yes, I agree,
Avisynth is one heck of a cool tool.

>My website (well, my TiVo-to-SVCD page, anyway) needs an update. :-)

You're so unique in that regard.  :-)

John