[Extractstream [MM]] Flaky Tivo... <sniff>

TivoMerch tivo at 30below.com
Tue Sep 16 00:54:07 PDT 2003

My Venerable Philips HDR212 SA unit has gone a bit flaky on me... I don't
know how bad it is, but I *think* it's either software-based or
MPEG-decoder based - the encoder doesn't seem to be affected; and watching
live TV seems fine... here's what it's doing:

My Tivo seems to glitch while playing back video from either pre-recorded
shows or from the 30-minute 'live-TV buffer' -> sometimes the glitches last
anywhere from milliseconds to 3-5 seconds, where the video freezes, and (on
longer glitches) the audio b0rks up as well... when the audio does return,
it may have a higher pitch for (maybe) up to a second thereafter - it's
hard to time exactly...

AFAIK, I haven't found any glitches in any downloaded shows, but it's been
hard to track so far, as I don't sit & watch every single show that I burn
to SVCD; however, I do have one show that seems to glitch badly (sadly, the
Enterprise season opener... :-(( <sniff> ) but I will be downloading that
tonite or tomorrow (depending on schedule) and encoding that one posthaste
to make sure the video is OK...

Also, reboots don't seem to help - so it's not a "long-standing program
going nutz" problem...

This is what I'm thinking, but as my father-in-law used to say: "I could be
full of condensed milk" with my reasoning:

1) TivoOS (for lack of a better term) hasn't been updated in quite some
time - not only that, my Tivo hasn't been thru a "Full-Bore Slate-wiping
reset" in *years*. My TivoChunk #'s are currently at: 2128007 ... Has
anyone else had any problems with their Tivos when the chunk# gets that high?

2) Is it possible with all the jazz going on in that Tivo that maybe the HD
can't keep up anymore? I'm still at single 40G 5400RPM hard drive - with
the extra load (Webserver, telnet server, etc...) going on, would a memory
upgrade (to 32Meg) and a 7200rpm / 8Meg buffer hard drive be prudent? Does
the HD buffer size really *mean* anything to a Tivo anyway? How would I
find out?

Unforch, because of this, I'm stepping up my efforts to "roll-my-own" tivo
out of my Micro-footprint Athlon 1600+ (I want 100Mbit more than anything,
and a bit'o'preprocessing of the video before I get it on my main
workstation would be nice...) but the video capture card I have only
supports Win2K, so fast boot times are a thing of the past... (I'm debating
getting a different card that Linux likes... and
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org is a very good friend of mine... ;-) )

Anyway, if anyone else has heard of this, or knows a remedy, I would be
humbled if you could impart some of your wisdom my way... ;-)

Laterz,
Roger "Merch" Merchberger